Monday, August 6, 2012

What the What?

I'm going to need someone to explain to me how THIS...


...Turns into THIS.  IN JUST FIVE YEARS.
(photo credit to my amazing friend C, who is an expert at wielding whatever you call that kind of camera NOT attached to a cell phone.)

With this milestone, I have finally been forced to face the fact that my baby is not a baby anymore.  His body is long and lean (okay, mostly just lean) and absent of all baby fat, even when I squint.  And I've been squinting a LOT lately.

Tonight, I put him to bed and told him I loved him, saying tearily, "I'm so glad you're my baby."

To which he responded, "I'm not a baby, Mommy."

AND THEN I CRIED AND HE STARED AT ME LIKE I WAS A LUNATIC.

Which I am, mostly, but that's neither here nor there.

Five years ago, I rested his brand-new baby body on my chest for the first time, inhaling that magical scent of newborn and marveling that this tiny human was my own.  In the time that has marched past since, he has made us laugh, cry, grit our teeth, and burst with pride, sometimes all at once.

Would that I had the words to do justice to how much I love this little monster.


I'll Love You Forever
I'll Like You For Always
As Long As I'm Living,
My Baby You'll Be

-Robert Munsch

No comments:

Post a Comment