Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The things I won't do (or blame on) my kids

I'll be the first to admit that I've never really jumped on the environmental wagon. I don't really have anything against the green thing, I guess I've just had a few too many whack jobs put a bad taste in my mouth about it. Plus, as everyone seems to want to get a piece of the pie, "green" products generally equate to "expensive as crap" products. Not that crap is expensive, but, oh, well...you get the drift. It's late, and I'm a little punch drunk. Anyway, with resources severely limited these days thanks to my little therapy monkey, if it ain't cheap, mommy ain't buying it. So, imagine my delight when a family friend passed along a recipe for making homemade laundry detergent that is not only low on chemicals, but EXTREMELY cheap. Now, one thing you'll need to know about me before this relationship goes any further is that I am a grade-A nerd. I LOVE finding out how things work, and I love projects, so this prospect made me one happy camper. I haven't been this excited since I discovered cleaning with vinegar (See, told you. My life is extremely sad sometimes). Side note: when posing the question, "Does making my own laundry detergent make me a hippie?"...be prepared for a brutally honest response. The general consensus is a resounding yes.
So, anyway, after a few days of eye rolling, head shaking and amusement from coworkers and friends alike, I made my way to the local store to buy supplies. I cheerfully stocked up on all the ingredients, including the cutest robin's egg blue bucket you ever did see, by the way. Wisely, I did wait until all materials were purchased and I was fully committed before notifying the husband. This made all the huffing, second round of eye rolling and what-am-I-going-to-do-with-her wondering kind of useless. We've been married for 8 years now, and we've more or less got this down to a routine. It works for us.
Annnnyway, I am now departing on a grand experiment that may or may not end badly. Either way, I'm using the kids as a crutch on this one. The lack of foreign chemicals appeals to my paranoid mommy side, and the price difference between the homemade stuff and the store-bought makes me feel like I'm doing a little more to contribute to the therapy fund. The nerdy kid inside just wants to experiment already.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment